DNA Capital is a South African Private Equity and Venture Capital company that offers upfront, 100% tax deductible investment opportunities to our shareholders.
WE ARE A SARS APPROVED SECTION 12J COMPANY WITH A FSP LICENSE.
We raise capital through the private placement of DNA Capital equity shares to private individuals, companies, trusts and institutional investors.
These shares offer the investor:
- An upfront, 100% tax deduction through the issuing of a Section 12J certificate that will be included in your tax filing.
- The opportunity to earn dividends through investments in a diversified portfolio of companies selected by our skilled investment team.
We invest capital in section 12J qualifying South African businesses through minority equity acquisitions, management buy-outs, business rescue partnering and venture capital finance.
We actively engage in our businesses through interventions including but not limited to:
- Board representation
- Mentorship and training
- Operational excellence
- Ownership restructuring for BBBEE compliance
- Capital restructuring
- Risk management
To apply for shares please fill out the form below and we will cantact you shortly
Business Development Director
Risk Management Director
Section 12J Companies
To address high unemployment in the country, the government has identified the support of the SMME sector as a strategic imperative. The section 12J amendment of the income tax act seeks to address challenges faced by SMME’s in accessing finance by providing tax incentives to approved Venture Capital Companies (VCC).
The 12J VCC raises capital by private placement of shares with individuals, companies and trusts. Investors who purchase these shares are able to deduct 100% of the investment from their taxable income. The 12J VCC then invests this capital in SMME companies that meet certain qualification criteria, including:
- Book value of assets less than R50 million
- Junior mining companies with book value of assets less than R500 million
- Investment income not exceeding 20% of total income
- Trade conducted primarily within South Africa
- Does not trade in immovable property (except hotels, B&B’s and guest lodges), financial service activities, financial or advisory services, gambling liquor, tobacco products or arms or ammunition
Investors must hold their shares for a minimum period of 5 years to retain the tax incentive.
DNA Capital seeks to invest in companies with the following criteria:
- Company which is a resident of South Africa
- Not a controlled group company in relation to a group of companies
- Tax affairs must be in order
- An unlisted company, or in the case of a junior mining company, unlisted or listed on the Alternative Exchange Division (AltX) of the JSE Limited
We Consider many sectors, with our key focus areas being:
- Established operations averaging a minimum of 300k liters per month.
- Site must be included – no leased sites.
- Management with significant equity stake.
- Licence must be granted.
- New or expanding operations.
- Property may be included in deal size.
- Expansion Capital.
- Environmental impact studies must be completed.
- Bankable Feasibility stage for new operations.
- Most Viable Product should be presentable.
- Disruptive potential.
DNA Capital provides equty finance. Other funding instruments can be incorporated by the acquired company.